April 28, 2011

Carrot Salad

Морковь по Корейски [Morkov' po Koreyskee] Korean Carrot Salad



This is one of my super favorite salads!! It is a marinated salad, with fresh carrots as the main ingredient. The dressing is a simple vinegar with fresh garlic, coriander, cayenne and black pepper.


I have always called this salad, just that, carrot salad. When I started looking for recipes on how to make it, I couldn't find it until one of my aunts told me to search for "Korean Carrot Salad". So now I'm wondering if it's Russian or Korean? Or are is it as much Korean as French fries are French?

Now for the recipe...

Ingredients:

2 lbs carrots, peeled and thinly julienned the long way
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 Cup sunflower oil
1 Large onion, slivered
4 Cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 Tsp coriander seeds, ground or coarsely chopped
1/2 Tsp cayenne pepper (add more if you like your salad to bite back)
1/2 Tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp vinegar

Directions:

1. Mix the carrots with the salt, set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onions and fry until soft.
3. Mix in the garlic and fry for 1 minute, remove from heat.
5. Pour over the carrots, add the rest of the ingredients, and mix gently with your hands.
6. Cover, refrigerate, and let marinate for a couple of days.

The tedious preparation of this salad is well worth it!

Note: I found out my sisters boyfriend doesn't like garlic. So I made a small plate without it just for him, and although it was missing that garlicy flavor, it was still delicious!

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking for this recipe forever...no one wants to share :( or give good directions. I'm going to give it a try pretty soon here. Let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts and ideas!