August 13, 2011

Pickled Watermelon

Yes you read that right,
I pickled some watermelon!
 
 
And it is delicious!! 
 

This is one my favorite Russian dishes
and brings back lots of memories eating it at grandmas house.
 
Now I love this stuff! My husband? Not so much.
This is definitely one of those dishes that you will either love or hate.
So I suggest you make a small batch first.
 
Basically for every 1 liter of water you will need
1 tablespoon salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, a clove or two of garlic and a sprig of parsley.
(1 liter = 4.22675284 US cups)
  
I happen to have made 5 liters because I LOVE pickled watermelon:
 
Watermelon
5 L water
5 Tbsp salt
10 Tbsps sugar
5 cloves garlic
A few sprigs of parsley

1) Cut watermelon into slices like you normally would.

2) If your watermelon is ripe, cut out the red part and leave only about and inch or so of the red on the rind.  Do not pickle the cut out parts because they will pickle faster than the rind and will be too mushy. (You could pickle those separately, mine just never made it past the chickadees lol) If your watermelon is still pretty green, skip this step and go to step 3.


3) Peel the green outside off.

4) Mix all ingredients, add watermelon, close and keep at room temp until soured.

 
 (I kept this batch on the counter for about 48 hrs)

5) Once the watermelon has pickled, keep it in the refrigerator, it is best served cold.

So how and with what do you eat pickled watermelon?
I eat it just like that as a snack at any time of day.
Try this and let me know what you think.
Did you like it? Hate it?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and ideas!