November 27, 2013

Better Broccoli Cheese Soup Than Panera

I love Panera's broccoli cheese soup, but don't get to go there often {it has been a few years}

One day last month, I decided to make some at home. And this is the result..
Either it has been too long since I've eaten broccoli cheese soup or this is better than Panera!
Make it and decide for yourself :)



Ingredients:

(I double this for our family and we usually have some left overs)

1 tablespoon melted butter
1 small onion,
chopped 
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 cups chicken broth

2 stalks of fresh broccoli (or 3 cups florlettes)
1 cup carrots, julienned or grated
8 ounces grated mild cheddar or I like to use cheddar and jack cheese mix {about 2 cups}

salt and pepper

Directions:

1. Saute onion in butter. Set aside. 


2. Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly.


3. Add the heavy cream and the chicken broth. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.



4. While the cream and broth are cooking, cut the broccoli. When I am cooking, I like to have as little waste as possible and I like to have whole broccoli pieces in my soup. So I c
ut off the florlettes and set them aside, then I peel the stems and cook them whole.



5. Add broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes. 

6. Puree some of the soup's liquid and the whole stems in a blender or food processor. 


7. Return to heat and add the cheese, salt, and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes.


ENJOY! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and ideas!