December 29, 2017

2 Chickens | 9 Meals | For 8 Chickadees


     How I plan to make nine meals out of two rotisserie chickens (they are $4.99 at Costco so this should really stretch the dollar)

     For some odd reason, Mr. Chickadee has a chicken intolerance. He can eat any other bird like turkey, duck, quail, etc., but if he eats chicken, immediate stomach cramps. Weird, I know. So I cook it when he's not home, like lunch time, because the chickadees and I love it.

     Several times I have purchased a rotisserie chicken and was able to make 2.5 meals out of it. The drumsticks, thighs, and wings were usually eaten right away with mashed potatoes and a salad. One breast was made into a salad for myself. And the left over carcass and breast were cooked into a broth for soup.

     Last week I decided to buy two chickens, divide them into portions, and plan out the meals. I wanted to see how many meals I could make with just two chickens. 

     It helps that we don't eat large lunches, we have larger meals for dinner instead, so I was able to divide the two chickens into nine portions. We won't be having a large portion of chicken with our meal, but one-pot meals go a long way. And soups, of course, are great.

          First, I took everything off the bones. Then I put the bones, with some meat still on them, and skins in three separate bags (1, 2, & 3), those will be used for broth and soup. Four drumsticks and four wings in two bags (4 & 5). Then I chopped up the thighs and breasts and separated into four bags (6, 7, 8, & 9)



Here are the nine meals I plan to make:

But do remember that these meals will feed seven kids and one adult :)
So if you have less kids, you could make more meals.. or have more chicken in each meal.



Edit: I did it! I made the 9 meals, click on the links above to see them 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts and ideas!